About Shirlee Smith
This queen of common sense is tired, really tired, of our American society that permits kids to run the household, because she knows adults ought to be in charge. As simple as this seems, it’s a controversial issue that leads to spirited thinking and dialogue on her show, in her workshops, her public speaking engagements, her newspaper column and wherever this Queen of Common Sense encounters parents.
Who is Shirlee Smith?
• Foster parent to Brandi, age 18 (since Brandi’s birth)
• Former foster parent to more than 12 special needs infants
• Single parent of four adult children (all university graduates)
• Grandmother of three and great-grandmother of one
So What Makes Shirlee Tick?
“When it comes to parenting, there’s no such thing as an expert,” she says, and goes on to proclaim, “There are certainly those who claim to be, but basically they are long on research and real short on time in the trenches.”
• With four children and a baby in a buggy, Shirlee went back to school
• She graduated from UCLA as Departmental Scholar in Sociology
• She is a former appointee to the Los Angeles County Commission For Children and Families
• And a former appointee to the Los Angeles County Adoptions Commission
• She is a former Altadena Library Trustee
• She is a graduate of the CORO Leadership Program for Women
• She has received Congressional Recognition: Women In Business
• She is host and producer of award-winning cable TV show, “Talk About Parenting with Shirlee Smith”
•Pacific Clinics Family Programs Advisory Board chair since 2012
• She is author of “They’re Your Kids Not Your Friends” and the Spanish version, “Son tus Hijos no tus Amigos.”
Watch Shirlee on Dr. Phil
Are racial and cultural biases out of control, or are people too easily offended?
• As an opinion columnist, she received numerous
first place Journalism Awards from the Greater
Los Angeles Press Club for Personal Commentary
• Recipient of the Angels in Adoption
Congressional Award in 2006