MOTHERS BEHIND BARS – THE PARENT PUZZLE
Special Needs Children
Moms Voted Their 3 Favorite Books
MOTHERS BEHIND BARS BOOK PROGRAM
READ! READ! READ! Included in the ten week parenting class session is a homework assignment requiring participants to visit the prison library and write a book report
READ! READ! READ! Kids of every MOM are mailed “A Book A Month”
Miriam, 8 years-old, one of our “Book A Month” club members had this to say after receiving The Giving Tree-“This is my first book ever, ever, ever, and it came in the mail just for me. I read it every night when I’m in my bed. Thank You Mommie and Parenting.”
The Giving Tree is a children’s picture book written and illustrated by Shel Silverstein. First published in 1964 by Harper & Row, it has become one of Silverstein’s best known titles and has been translated into numerous languages. Wikipedia
Nominations: Kids’ Choice Award for Favorite Book
- Women are the fastest growing prison population in America.
- Talk About Parenting provides classes at California Institution for Women
- CIW houses 2,144 inmates. The percentage of mothers in this population is not recorded.
- Nationally 64% of incarcerated women are mothers. Parents of minor children increased 79% between 1991 and 2007. California has the largest number of incarcerated women in the country.
Incarcerated Moms Talk About Our Classes…
- Former Inmates
- Law Enforcement
- Educators (teachers/ administrators)
- Family Law Attorneys
- Mental Health Professionals Nutritionist
- Story Tellers
- Children’s librarians
- Child Development Specialist
Phil argento, Barbara Mckenzie-slater, Robert Howell
- Since 2011 inmate mothers at California Institution for Women (CIW) in Chino, Ca. have been able to enroll in Talk About Parenting with Shirlee Smith’s 20 hour parent class sessions.
- Over 600 inmates have received Talk About Parenting with Shirlee Smith class completion certificates.